This is my spin on the classic Spanish sangria.
I generally prefer to make red wine sangria with Rioja. Or I use a Primitivo or Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah (CMS) blend. The blend is bigger and bolder but adds lots of blackberry and some cocoa notes to your sangria.
You can even use a Pinot Noir or Grenache for more fruit forward flavors.
- 1 750 ml bottle of dry red wine
- ½ cup of fresh orange juice
- 1 cup of good ginger ale (I like Q Spectacular Ginger Ale)
- ½ cup of lemon seltzer water
- ½ cup Brandy
- ½ cup orange liqueur
- 1 unpeeled lemon
- 1 unpeeled Navel orange
- 1 unpeeled red apple (Gala or Fuji – don’t use Red Delicious as it can get mealy and soggy)
- 2-3 tablespoons simple syrup (optional)
- Wash fruit thoroughly, dry, slice thinly, and remove seeds.
- Add half the fruit and lightly muddle with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds.
- Add liqueurs and juice and muddle again for 30 seconds.
- Add the wine, remaining ingredients, and stir well.
- Chill and marinate overnight.
- Taste if it needs a little more sweetener add a tablespoon of simple syrup until it’s sweetened to taste.
- Stir in sodas and serve over ice when ready.